Do you want a healthy life with healthy food? This is the best solution for you!
You are trying your best to eat more organic foods as well as a cook more for your family so as to cut down on the amount of excessive pesticides you and your family consume passively on a daily basis. In addition, using organic foods helps to protect the environment from being poisoned by chemicals from the fertilizers. However, the problem with the price of organic foods can’t be solved yet since the products have to be carefully processed so as to maintain the clean and safety origin. Fortunately, you can still grow your own organic products to provide enough amount of vegetables and fruits for your family as well as save more money. It’s the benefits of organic gardening.
Of course, no one can be a gardener in one day. You have to learn from books and learn from mistakes so as to accumulate more hands – on experiences in organic gardening. Hire someone to do things for you is not a bad idea to keep your garden beautiful and productive all the time. However, it would not be your own garden at all since you don’t even know all the plants in your garden. Remember that you can always have your own place to grow organic food. It doesn’t have to be big, even if you only have some plants to take care of every day, it is still fine. Below are some steps that you should know when planning to have an organic garden. Now let’s get started with the soil and the compost!
This is the most important part of your garden apart from the plants since the quality of your soil decides mostly the quality of your organic foods. Everything can be improved, however, if you start with a normal type of soil without being treated well from the beginning, the following steps will take you more time and efforts with worse results. Therefore, you have to be picky when selecting the type of soil for your plants since the soil to plants is similar to food to our life. Don’t use any types of chemical with the hope that you can make it better just by spraying them on your garden. It will harm the biological structure of the soil as well as kill beneficial bacteria. Always remember that you are trying to form an organic garden, not a normal one, so be patient and use traditional methods to keep everything organic and green.
You can take samples of promising soil types and get them tested to see which kind is the most suitable for your garden. If you can do things at home, it can be done easily with a set of testing kit. Otherwise, if you don’t have time, send the samples to the local agricultural extension office. With just a small fee, the tests will be done professionally and the results will be sent to you just a few days later. The pH and nutrient levels are the numbers you should take a look and compare carefully. In some cases, there are also some recommendations about how to treat certain types of soil to make them better. Everything should be done before winter since it’s the worst time to grow or plant anything.
If you have any questions about soil types and how to choose the best one to match your plant types, don’t hesitate to ask for help from organic planting organizations. In addition, you should know how to combine the soil with the proper type of organic manure.
Compost plays an important part in growing plants and improve the quality of the garden. Moreover, you don’t have to pay money for compost. Compost is the food of the plants as well as provides water and prevents weeds. The landfill will be cleaner if the food and waste from the yard are taken away to make compost. It is considered “black gold” since the benefits it brings in comparison to other types of chemical fertilizers.
Many people don’t know how to make perfect compost though they already gathered all the components. Don’t worry if you don’t have time to care about this thing. Even a tended pile still creates favorable conditions for your garden.
- Make a compost heap which is at least three feet square. You don’t need to measure or do things too carefully. Then find a bin or a pen to contain the compost pile.
- Add layers of carbon material such as leaves and garden trimmings and nitrogen material like manure of scraps from the kitchen. Don’t forget to keep the layer alternate. After preparing all the layers, cover them with a thin layer of soil over the top to keep the moist and the temperature.
- Don’t forget to cover the compost with more soil. Add water to keep the moist so as to make the action of microbe happens faster. During the next period, don’t open of mix the layers up. Wait for 1 to 2 month according to the weather and you will get a good pile of compost. It would take a little bit longer if the temperature is low.
- If the pile smell, you did it wrong. That’s when you have to add some dry carbon material and turn the pile on frequently.
- If you are in a city and you don’t have time as well as a place to do the compost, you can partner with a community garden, where you can do the steps easier with the instructions of an experienced
Making your own organic garden is not an easy task, especially when you live in a city with a not place for a garden, but the result would worth your efforts. Don’t be hurry, just take one step at a time and you will have your own garden to produce organic foods.